Friday 16 October 2015

Working Mom's Problem #1

How do we explain to our child the reason why we need to work? 

I have shared before my everyday struggles of leaving D every morning. He would always grab my clothes and ask me to change into my pambahay, my bag or just throw a tantrum with a cutie puppy eyes telling me "Mommy wag ka na magwork please? dito ka nalang sa bahay please?" May drama pa yan na "Wag ka na alis, kasi namimiss kita!".   He would even sometimes cry from his heart. How can I say no to that? There are times that I give in, and just file a leave for a day.  But I can't do that everyday, I a work, with deadlines. 

Working mothers have different reasons why they need to work. Mine, aside from securing our family's financial status, I am not a domesticated woman, I can't even cook my favourite adobo dish. I believe that I am not destined to be a full time housewife, 4 days at home naloloka na ako.  But admit it, the little minds of our kids would not understand it right away. Gave lots of explanations to D, all sorts of having money to buy his toys, to travel, to buy food and a lot more. But he would still cry every morning. Ang sakit sa puso.

One night, just as I entered our gate, D came to me very excited. 

D: Mommy! hindi ka na papasok sa work bukas okay?
Me: ha? Bakit?
D: quasi may pera na ko, pambili toys, food, clothes. 
Me: ha? saan? saan galing?

Then he showed me this.  



D: Diba? Mommy madami na tayo pera.

I was speechless for moment, I just hugged him tight and kissed him. Grabbed an alkansya and told him to save his money, so we can have more. But honestly, I don't know how to respond. My little man finding ways to make me stay at home with him. Lola L told me he picked those coins from the corners of my drawers. I felt guilty again, for being so selfish of choosing to work, but I have to. And now that baby S is comming in a few weeks, I may need to rethink my choices again. 

What to do? 

G, 

No comments:

Post a Comment