Sunday 25 January 2015

Learnings from our 6 years Journey

One of our pre-nup photo four years and 40 kilos ago. 

I had so much plan this weekend, but I ended up glued on our couch, watching TV, playing with D and texting/calling daddy R. This is our typical weekend when daddy R has work on a weekend. And we are like that for almost four years already. Tomorrow R and I will celebrate our 6th anniversary. Yes, I even computed ilang years na ba talaga kami? Haha we are like that, we don't usually celebrate our anniversaries and oftentimes we forgot about it. But that doesn't mean we love each other less, in fact for me thats true love. No rules, no boundaries, no limitations, no pretentions, just pure love. Naks sabi nga ni R "Mi, my love for you is priceless". 

We may look always a happy couple, we may show other people or on our social media accounts the happy and beautiful or little family is, but we also have a share of stormy seasons. Yes, I have the right to call our love "true love" because if its not, we will not have each other until now. And I know this will be forever.  

But having a relationship doesn't just exist because of true love, I believe that you have to work hard for it. And after 6 years of being a couple, I feel like we are stronger now than before. And happier of course. And I wanna share how we do it, what we decided and chooses to do for the love of each other. 

1. The Art of Compromising. When two people who came from different family and culture become together expect the worst. In the first months okay pa yan, honeymoon stage pa so both can give way. But after that, we start comparing our partners with our parents, ayan na! We or I learned it the hard way. But yes, compromising and meeting half-way is possible. Communication and honesty is the key. Be honest with your partner on what you both want, and accept the fact that hindi sa lahat ng oras gusto mo ang masusunod. Compromising is as easy as eating lunch sa gusto ng hubby mo, and mirienda naman sa gusto mo. And talk about the issue when both of you are calm. 

2. The Art of Communication. In our 6 years of togetherness, 4years is long-distance relationship. Although daddy R goes home every other weekend, LDr pa din yan! The thought of waking up not beside your loved one is sad and makes me feel alone at times,  But thank you to the unlimited plans, R made sure that we text, call and update each other on what we do everyday. It takes a lot of getting used to, pero masasanay ka din. We just make-up with the kwentuhan when he's here. 

3. The Art of Time Management. This one is the hardest. Being a working mom, with a toddler, and before breastfeeding and studying left no time for R. But good thing he understands,  but that doesn't mean he doesn't need me and I will stop making time for him. Ngarag diba? But whether we like it or not we have to alot time for our husbands. Remember that we used to revolve our world with them, kaya nga daw marami naghahanap ng iba. Even if we have D now, we make sure we sneak time for each other. 

4. The Art of Courting. This is more on R, he never stoped making me kilig in the 6 years we are together. And as Pope Francis said, never stop the illusion/love that you have when you are boyfriends/girlfriends. True naman, whenever R and I fight, I used to look at our pictures just to remember how happy we are. Then I fall in love to R again (yiheee!!). He never stopped calling me pretty, or never ceases to make me feel loved. 

5. The Art of Submission. Yes, as wives, we have to be. Its hard to live by it specially when you belong to type "A" personalities, but we have to trust and be with the decisions of our hubbies. Its a struggle for me, I know for some women as well, but we need to make sure that the man really manned the home. 

As we celebrate our 6th anniversary, note that this our original anniversary as bf/gf (we don't celebrate of wedding anniversary) I know that our journey will become more exciting and adventurous as he we learning from our mistakes and moving forward. Of course I look forward into growing old with R, but I am more excited in our journey into growing old. 

I hope you guys picked up something from us, you may want to add or share yours too. 

#iamsoblessed

G, 



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations with the love you guys had for each other. Mahirap talaga ang LDR and some people can't manage to hold on to that and end up with someone else's. I agree that you have to work hard for your marriage and love. Hindi yan automatic eh no?! Ang pinakamahirap is yung submission talaga. I'm not saying na type A ako pero ang hirap lang when you got used on making and living your own decisions then suddenly you have to go along with your husband! hehe =)

    ReplyDelete