Monday 5 August 2013

Mommy Sweetie's Breastfeeding Journey

Whenever someone ask me "Hanggang kailan ka magpapabreastfeed?" I always tell them "Hanggat may milk ako at gusto ni baby D". As a working mom, I feel like my breastmilk is the best gift that I can give to baby D and breasfeeding is the only way to sustain our bond as mother and son. 

Prior to giving birth, I thought that only stay-at-home moms can breastfeed their babies. So when my mom asked me if I will breastfeed my baby, I always tell her "until my maternity leave" which is usually up to 60days. I need to return to work, I have my career and still have many aspirations. But when I held baby D in my arms and saw how peaceful he is whenever I breafeed him, I made sure that I will do my best to breasfeed my son as long as I can and as long as he want. 

Our first weeks was never easy, but like other new mothers, there is nothing that we cannot do for our little angel. We can endure all the pain, just so see our babies peacefully and contently sleep in our breasts. That even all we eat is with malungay and bathe/drink with hot water, that we cannot go out of the house for more that an hour, that we cannot have a proper position during bedtime and even if it means goodbye to coffee and chocolates (*this really made me cry) we will still sacrifice for our baby.

I am proud that baby D is now 19 months breastfeed baby. My journey will not be this sucessful without the help of my family and considerations of my employer. During our first days that baby D will not latch in my other breast, Inang (my grandmmother) was there to help me. She even tied (ouch!) my nipples via strings she called it (Silo or siluin) to help baby D latch, after 2days of tears and tieing baby D latches perfectly. My family and R was also very supportive, even if breastfeeding baby D means lying and sleeping all the time for us. My employer also understands(well I think) my situation and allowed me to express and store milk at office. So baby D was fed breastmilk via bottle at daytime and direct feed during night. 


Kiss after feeding. 

I love that even I leave home when usually baby D is still sleeping and sometimes arrive at home and baby D is sleeping again baby D still recognize me. And I believe we will not bond like that if I did not breastfeed him. I am so thankful that I have all the means to research and find the best breastfeeding accessories for a working and travelling mom like me. 

I am a fan of manual breastpumps. I don't know why but electric pumps do not work for me. After trials, frustrations and exhanges of different breastpumps I settled with PM breastpumps. I like the precious moments manual breastpumps because the flanges fits well with me and it has a stong suction that enables me to express 4oz. of breastmilk in 10mins. It is not also bulky and easy to clean and assemble. It comes with extra spare parts and affordable. 

My BP collection at home. I also used farlin, but I like PM bests. 

Little but powerful parts. It is also BPA free. 

What made me "almost" stop breastfeeding is that my work requires me to travel regionally during trainings. My main dilemma is the storage and transport of my breastmilks. Again, I thank all the generous posts of breastfeeding mothers for all the ideas and tips. Here's how I do mine. 


All my accessories are packed in a sealed container and packed inside my hand carry bags so it will not be damaged during flights. 

I always check if there is available fridge in the hotel room or check if the hotel can accommodate storage of breastmilks. 

I utilize AM, Lunch and PM breaks to sneak into my room and express milk. 

I prefer to use disposable milk bags during travels since it is less bulky plus I read somewhere that It can sustain pressure in the plane unlike bottles that has a tendency to pop. 

Since travelling regionally took only 4-6 hours of travel, I don't freeze my BMs,(BMs can be stored in fridge for 8days) instead I bring along Ice packs and insulated bag. And I usually hand carry them. 

And my best pasalubong to baby D is my fresh breastmilk.

I sacrificed a lot in order to breastfeed baby D. I forgo a lot of opportunities because grabbing those means little or no time to breastfeed. And even my intimate moments with R are also affected. I gave up my gimik nights social life because I need to be home early to feed baby D. But do I regret it? Certainly NO. Baby D will just be a baby once in his lifetime, and I want to make and give him the best. And I believe that my breastmilk is the best thing that I can give to baby D. 

And I hope that all mothers, I they can also breastfeed their baby, please do. 

Happy breastfeeding month!

All is well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment